Pot roasted chicken dinner waiting for you after a busy day!
Nov 6, 2023
3 minute read
This recipe will feed 6/8 people (or you can save some for the freezer for another day).
One whole chicken (1.5/2kg)
Dribble of olive oil
Knob of butter
1 x medium white or red onion
4/6 cloves of garlic
2 x large chopped carrots
3 x medium size potatoes, diced
1 x small swede, diced
1 x small chopped leek
3 x bay leaves
1 large tsp thyme
1 small tsp tarragon
½ pint / 300ml chicken stock (1 cube)
Salt & pepper
- Fry off the whole chicken in a hot pan with a little olive oil, salt and pepper
- When the chicken is sealed, lift it out and put it in a large pot or crockpot
- Add a generous nob of butter to the pan with the remaining chicken juices and fry onion, garlic, carrots, swede, potatoes and leek until they start to soften.
- Add herbs to taste (you can substitute tarragon for mixed herbs)
- Add the chicken stock
- Pour all the lovely vegetables and stock into the pot with the chicken and cover with a lid and cook for 3 hours(depending on your slow cooker, cook for longer if needed) or 1- 1 1/2 hours in the oven at 160/180 degrees depending on the size of your chicken. (when you can pull the leg away easily it is ready).
- Serve with extra veggies and a fresh loaf of bread. (or whatever you fancy)
This meal will be a lovely healthy, chunky chicken family meal that costs between £1.50/£2.50 per head depending on the size and cost of the chicken you can add bread or any extra veggies of your choice.